Lake County, IL Ultimate Activity Guide
Next Weekend: Plan for Fun
Get out your favorite writing utensil (or just use your phone) and start marking your calendar because Lake County's Ultimate Activity Guide is your passport to fun!
- Fly down the hills at rapid speeds on your sled at one of 10 Lake County sledding hills.
- Celebrate the American politician, the former Illinois governor, the diplomat, the intellect, Adlai Stevenson II, by singing happy birthday at his historic home.
- Saunter through Gurnee Mills, Hawthorn Mall, Deer Park Town Center or Pleasant Prairie Premium Outlets for some intense holiday shopping.
- Choo, choo, choose a unique dining experience like Chessie’s Restaurant which sits in an Illinois Central Railroad dining car.
- Everyone’s Irish on St. Paddy’s Day, which means a little whiskey should suit you well at Timothy O'Toole's Irish Pub.
- Sink your teeth into Wildberry’s legendary pancakes.
- Shoot for a better free-throw percentage than the L.A. Clippers Deandre Jordan at the Libertyville Sports Complex Free Throw Challenge.
- All Aboard the Wonderland Express as Chicago Botanic Garden hosts the renowned model train set all through the holiday season.
- Take a tour through an elegant Venetian winter wonderland at Cuneo Mansion and Gardens.
- Witness the elegance and grace of beautiful Loyola at Cuneo Mansion and Gardens during the holiday season.
- Discover the life and times of Reverend John Alexander Dowie – who headed the Catholic Church, founded Zion and built a 25-room elegant mansion called the Shiloh House.
- For a fun indoor activity, try a candy making class at Sweet Pete's in Lake Forest.
- Think you can take the challenge of the world’s tallest, steepest, fastest wooden coaster in the world? Take a ride on the Gurnee's amusement park's new 2017 ride The Joker, the Guiness Book of World Record-breaking Goliath and 14 other rollercoasters at Six Flags Great America.
- ‘The ship set aground on the shore of this uncharted Blarney Isle.’ Maybe you’ll run into Gilligan while you party hardy at Blarney Island.
- Visit the world famous Grug, a water monitor once owned by Nicolas Cage at Wildlife Discovery Center.
- Slip slide away down the tubes of Hurricane Harbor on a hot, humid Lake County summer day.
- Cool down with a beer at Half Day Brewing Company where you can try nine house styles of suds.
- Blanket: Check, Bottle of wine: Check, Cheese cubes: check, Picnic basket: Check, Fantastic live tunes: Check. See the talent Ravinia Festival books on its Highland Park stage.
- Huzzah! Bristol Renaissance Faire will bid you good morrow, sit you down and have a laugh because mine eyes doth taketh interest in thee.
- Pick up a fresh batch of produce and learn what the Beatles meant by Strawberry Fields Forever at Long Grove’s Strawberry Fest.
- Eat a frank and check out an old-timey hot rod at Miller's Dog N Suds Drive-in.
- Chow down some chowder at Dover Straits with a side of lobster…or the other way around.
- Celebrate all of the festivities in GreenTown or Waukegan as we wish Ray Bradbury a very eerie birthday in August.
- Grab your tackle box, bait and fishing rod and head to the Waukegan Harbor.
- Be one with nature and the ways of the Native Americans at the Annual Potawatomi Trails Pow-Wow.
- Explore Cairo, Lake County…or Wadsworth and see authentic Egyptian artifacts at the Gold Pyramid House.
- Hang out with the farmyard folks and sink your teeth into an elephant ear at the Lake County Fair.
- Wear your stars and stripes forever as you watch patriotic colors explode in the sky at Naval Station Great Lakes’ Fourth of July Celebration.
- Find the freshest, locally-grown and deliciously ripe fruits and veggies of the season in Lake County’s Community Farmers Markets.
- Cool off in hot town, summer in Lake County and jump in the drink at Chain O’ Lakes.
- Let out your neigh before you go into battle as the Tempel Farm Lipizzan Horses put on a show of a lifetime in Old Mill Creek.
- Saunter through the sand and find a good rock to skip across Lake Michigan at Illinois Beach State Park.
- Be awestruck as you see the Mother Rudd House and Museum - a haven for the Underground Railroad.
- See the beautiful colors fill the air at Lake County's only hot air balloon festival–Grayslake Color Aloft–in August.
- Cheerio to Downtown Antioch walkers at Dickens Holiday Village. Olde England comes alive in Historic Downtown Antioch with lifelike figures representing scenes from the Dickens era.
- Take a page out of Patrick Skene Catling’s book, The Chocolate Touch and head to the Chocolate Sanctuary – where every dish is inspired with chocolate glaze, seasoning or fondue.
- Jump on your bicycle and take the Des Plaines River Trail Challenge stretching 31 miles through 12 Lake County Forest Preserves.
- Chomp down some peanuts (throw them on the floor) and devour a delicious slice of pie at Bill's Pizza & Pub.
- Ride a pony, tractor, camel or hayride at Didier Farms...or just pick their plumpest pumpkin.
Continue here to see updated events throughout the year.