Spring Break in Lake County 2023
By: Hazel Gayheart 03/20/2023
Spring break means spring fun, and is the perfect time to explore Lake County.
From March 20 - April 9, Lake County has an array of activities, events and Easter festivities ranging from egg hunts, to parades, from action-packed to more self-paced pursuits.
Spring into the complete Spring Break Guide in Lake County.
Easter, Egg Hunts and More
- Shake off the winter blues and spend quality bonding time with a perfect spring getaway at Great Wolf Lodge's Spring Breakout in Gurnee. Yoga, arts and crafts, dance parties, games and more! (3/03 - 4/30) INFO»
- Hop to and around the county for some community Easter Egg Hunts on select weekends in March and April. (3/25 - 4/8)
- Antioch (Willow E. Brook Center) INFO»
- Grayslake (Central Park - Sold Out) INFO»
- Highland Park (Recreation Center) INFO»
- Lake Barrington (Canlan Sports) INFO»
- Lake Villa (Lehmann Park) INFO»
- Lake Villa (Susanna Farms) INFO»
- Vernon Hills (Deerpath) INFO»
- Zion (Shiloh Park) INFO»
- "Take some more tea," the March Hare said to Alice. Join in on this festive Mad Hatter Tea Party and breakfast at the West Ridge Center in Highland Park on April 2. INFO»
- With all things farm, Lambs Farm in Green Oaks is scheduled to open its farmyard for the season on April 7. However, don't miss out on exploring the rest of the farm which includes, Dogwood Garden and Pet Center, Magnolia Café and Bakery, Cedar Crest Thrift Shop and the Sugar Maple Country Store. INFO»
- Maple Syruping at Ryerson Woods during Spring Break. INFO»
- Bunny Hop is a spring tradition in Historic Downtown Long Grove. Families will HOP from station to station until reaching the Hop Experience Area located at Brother's Field. (4/8) INFO»
- The Easter parade is back in Antioch this year and will conclude with an easter egg hunt at Bandshell. (4/8) INFO»
- Strike a pose with your favorite bunny at the mall. (3/17 - 4/8)
- Deer Park Town Center (4/1) INFO»
- Gurnee Mills (3/17 - 4/8) INFO»
- Hawthorn Mall (3/17 - 4/8) INFO»
If indoor exploration is more your pace, Lake County has many museums and special programs during spring break. Here is a short list:
- Be amazed by the Chicago Botanic Garden's Orchid Show in Glencoe titled "Magnified". This show runs through March 26. INFO»
- As the saying goes, "all good things must come to an end," the Wildlife Discovery Center in Lake Forest is in its final run. Their indoor exhibits will remain open through March 24. INFO»
- The Puzzle-Off Competition at Waukegan's Belvidere Recreation Center is scheduled for March 24. Gather your team and compete for prizes. INFO»
- Expand the imagination and the creative spirit at The Dunn Museum in Libertyville. The museum is hosting drop-in, hands-on experiences using natural and found materials for children on March 28 and April 4. INFO»
- The Volo Museum is partnering with Costumers with a Cause (CWC) to give children an unforgettable experience. Kids ages 12 and younger in costume will receive a free combo admiission pass to both the Volo Auto Museum and Jurassic Gardens. (3/25) INFO»
For a list of additional museums in the area, visit our Museums in Lake County page INFO»
For more action or hands-on games and activities, visit one of the venues below.
- Launch into the air with activities both on the ground or off at Launch Gurnee. INFO»
- For a multi-skill game that combines lacrosse, basketball, hockey and bumper cars, Whirlyball in Vernon Hills will test your skills or your competitive side with a group or family. INFO»
- Be taken to new heights with Boundless Adventures in Kenosha. This aerial adventure park has something for the fierce or adventure-seeking warriors. Opening for the season on April 8. INFO»
- Not in the mood to let go of those ice skates just yet (or ever)? Top Shelf Ice Arena in Gurnee is open year-round for hockey, figure skating, regular skate or to learn a new sport on ice skates. INFO»
- For a destination that can take you anywhere in the world without leaving the state, Extreme Flight Simulation in Gurnee is packed with aircraft simulators like a Boeing 737-8 NG and an F-18 fighter jet. If you're not ready for take-off just yet, you can also take part in their Virtual Reality (VR) lounge that carries hundreds of selections that can take you anywhere in the world! Walk around the Louvre museum in Paris or take down androids from other galaxies. Be anywhere or do anything in virtual reality. INFO»
- For a sports venue that is equipped with all you need to begin or continue your athletic journey, Canlan Sports in Libertyville and Lake Barrington have what you need. From camps, clinics, tourneys, leagues for both children and adults and a full fitness center, you have all you need in one place.
- Foooore! some additional outdoor play, stop in at one of America's best miniature golf courses right here in Lake County! Par-King Skill Golf in Lincolnshire can help you work on your short game beginning April 1. INFO»
- And, for your long game, visit any of these Lake County golf courses. INFO»
Sometimes art can help us unwind and fill our creative spirit. During Spring Break, we have some delightful additions in Lake County.
- Play On! at the James Lumber Center for the Performing Arts on the College of Lake County campus in Grayslake has a list of performances. INFO»
- "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" is the new charming, witty and heartfelt performance on the Marriott Theatre stage in Lincolnshire. This musical features new songs from the Tony Award-winning Broadway revival. INFO»
To see all the happenings on the theatrical and performing arts schedule this spring, continue here.
Whether cooking at home or enjoying a specialty outside of the home, food brings holiday comfort. Lake County has some hands-on experiences for kids or, if you prefer, an Easter brunch.
For a chef-lead experience preparing kid favorites, join The Joyful Gourmet in Libertyville for two hands-on classes:
- Bonnie Brook Golf Course in Waukegan. INFO»
- Gale Street Inn in Mundelein. INFO»
- Lambs Farm in Green Oaks. INFO»
- Lindy's Landing in Wauconda. INFO»
- Oaken Bistro in Lake Forest. INFO»
For more information about events this spring, click here.