11+ Eateries to Upgrade Your Brunch Experience in Lake County
By: Jonathan Jones 02/12/2018
There are 11+ eateries to upgrade your brunch experience in Lake County.
We’re taking a page out of Queen Bey’s book so, ‘Partner, let me upgrade you, flip a new page. Introduce you to some new things and upgrade you.’
This is perhaps the biggest decision of your life as you rub those crusty eyes after a heavy week of working hard for the money. The menus are seriously loaded to make you feast like a king. And of course, then there’s also bacon (you can’t not have bacon).
So what do you pick to eat in that awkward timespan between breakfast and lunch as your stomach stirs restlessly awaiting your decision? Do you go the route where your plate is doused in maple syrup and other sweet glorious treats? Do you pack on the protein complemented with salty delights? Our advice is all of the above.
Indulge at all of these 11+ eateries to upgrade your brunch experience in Lake County. There is no shame in visiting them on consecutive days – we support your decision.
Brunch Hours: Sundays; 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
This Italian-inspired restaurant serves the classics in a warm modern space with a long bar and unique wine-bottle chandeliers. The Pomigliano family prides itself on making daily, mouth-watering homemade dishes.
- Yogurt Parfait: Homemade granola, fresh berries and drizzled honey
- Caramel Pecan French Toast: Amaretto maple syrup, honey, fresh berries and hand-whipped cream
- Pomigliano Egg Sliders: Crossaints, over easy eggs, cheddar cheese, applewood bacon, feta, tomato, lettuce, breakfast hash
- Italian Omelette: Pancetta, capicola, roasted peppers, mozzarella, bruschetta, breakfast hash
- Crab Cakes Benedict: Poached egg, hollandaise, applewood smoked bacon, breakfast hash
- Sausage and Egg Sandwich: Italian sausage, red bell peppers, mozzarella cheese on Italian bread
- His Bloody Murphy: Absolut pepper, Guinness, candied bacon, celery, cherry peppers, gerkin
- Her Bloody Mary: Effen Cucumber, cherry tomato, asparagus, jumbo shrimp
Brunch hours: Sunday; 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
The Gurnee eatery is a chocolate-inspired haven that offers a Sunday breakfast buffet. Indulge in a delicious Sunday brunching experience and stay for the chocolate treats for dessert.
- Sanctuary Five-Spice Cocoa Ribs
- Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Fritters
- House-Made Organic Cocoa Nib Granola
- Waffle Pops
Brunch Hours: Saturday-Sunday; 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Take a flight to Italy for an exquisite brunch option (and by Italy, we mean Highwood). Nonna has been working over that stove all morning and her eats never disappoint. All weekend the Highwood eatery provides the brunch that your taste buds have been waiting for. The scent of these delicious dishes permeates throughout the walls of this rustic and vintage Italian establishment.
- Nutella-Stuffed Crepes, Bananas and Hazelnuts
- Omelette, Italian sausage, Peppers, Onions and Mozzarella
- Croissant, Over-Easy Egg, Butterkase Cheese and Arugula
Brunch Options: Daily till 11 a.m.
The Hyatt Deerfield houses the delectable Jaxx Bistro: "Thoughtfully sourced and regionally inspired." Discover tempting choices as the Deerfield eatery offers brunch daily till 11 a.m including a breakfast buffet.
- Cinnamon French Toast
- Smoked Salmon
- Crabcake Benedict
- Corned Beef Hash
Brunch hours: Sundays; 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
The Lincolnshire fare and brews establishment creates 12 artistic beers and has a menu that features hand-tossed pizzas (we totally respect your decision if you order pizza instead of brunch too). The Sunday brunch menu ensures a variety of not quite breakfast, not quite lunch items.
- Dutch Baby Pancake: These ‘pancakes are a dynamic marriage between a soufflé and a crepe, made in their wood-fired oven, drizzled with maple syrup and topped with fresh berries and powdered sugar
- Blackhawk & Eggs: A seared 24 oz. Blackhawk cut bone-in ribeye served with two eggs (any style) with breakfast potatoes and lobster hollandaise
- Spinach Frittata: Eggs, brie, oven-dried tomato and herb butter topped with grated parmesan
- Pulled Pork Breakfast Burrito: Pulled pork, black bean and corn salsa, scrambled eggs, cheddar, salsa Roja and lime sour cream
Brunch Hours: Saturday-Sunday; 8- 11 a.m.
This Lambs Farm café and bakery provides a weekend brunch menu. Head to the Libertyville eatery for a delightful brunch and stay to scour the farm.
- Kitchen Sink Omelet: Smoked ham, bacon, sausage, green peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese
- Garden Veggie Skillet: Sautéed mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, spinach and cheese blended with their country hash browns and topped with eggs (any style).
- The Ranch Hand: Two eggs (any style) with your choice of bacon, sausage or ham
- Apple Cinnamon French Toast: Homemade apple cinnamon bread battered, griddled and dusted with cinnamon sugar.
Brunch Hours: Saturday-Sunday; 10 a.m.
This MainStreet Libertyville restaurant/bar offers riffs on the classic Italian-Mediterranean fare, fine wines and craft libations. They also serve up a mean brunch
- Steak & Eggs: Skirt steak, sunny side up egg, parmesan potatoes
- Short Rib Hash: Poached egg, caramelized vegetables, roasted garlic hollandaise
- Avocado Toast: Vine-ripened tomato, poached egg, sea salt
- Lobster Benedict: Poached egg, Fresno chili, hollandaise
- Biscuits & Gravy: parmesan buttermilk biscuit,s stout gravy, fried egg
- Omelete: Roasted tomato, artichoke and stracchino cheese
- Lemon Ricotta Pancake: Blueberry-apple compote and hand-whipped cream
- French Toast: Mixed berries and salted caramel
Brunch Hours: Sundays; 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
WOOD you like a slice of pizza? This Libertyville wood-fired pie place not only serves up a mean slice, as their menu features salads, pasta and burgers. Pizzeria DeVille also provides a full bar. Don't sleep on their brunch though!
- Buttermilk Biscuits: Two buttermilk biscuits, soft butter, Mike's Honey, fig jam
- Nutella Bruschetta: Topped with strawberries, bananas and powdered sugar
- 2x3: Two fried eggs, two pieces of bacon or breakfast sausage, house ciabatta and breakfast potatoes
- Egg on a Biscuit
- American Breakfast Pie: Scrambled egg base, roasted tomatoes, bacon, fontina and cheddar
- Sunnyside Place Breakfast Pizza: Sausage, bacon, potatoes, caramelized, onions, roasted red peppers, mozzarella and fried egg
- French Toast Pizza: Frech toast batter, brown sugar and butter, bacon, glazed pecans, powdered sugar and maple syrup
Brunch hours: Saturday-Sunday; 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
Festive ambiance? Check. Lakeside dining? Check. Brunch? You bet! Every weekend Port of Blarney offers an enchanting spread of brunching bites right along the Chain O’Lakes.
- Greek Omelet: Three eggs with sausage, green peppers, onions and mozzarella cheese. The dish is served with a choice of potatoes or toast
- Biscuits and Gravy Combo: Two biscuits covered in their homemade gravy, paired with two eggs (any style) and your choice of potato and toast
- Breakfast Combo: Two eggs (any style), choice of potato, choice of bacon or sausage and served with toast
- Wet Burrito: Your choice of steak or chicken, scrambled eggs, green peppers, onions, hash browns and cheddar jack cheese. The ensemble is wrapped in a flour tortilla and covered in Port of Blarney’s homemade tomatillo salsa or red salsa. The dish is also drizzled with sour cream
Brunch hours: Sundays; 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
The Wadsworth eatery has earned a slew of accolades including a Delicious Destination award from the Illinois Office of Tourism and it was also featured on the Food Network’s, ‘Diners, Drive-ins and Dives,” with Guy Fieri. So it's not shocking that The Shanty can whip up a mean breakfast. Check out this Wadsworth staple’s fine brunch eats.
- The Shanty Slam: Two buttermilk pancakes, two organic eggs (any style), caramelized Idaho potatoes and choice of apple smoked bacon or sausage patties
- Cajun Shrimp and Crawfish Omelette: Fresh sautéed shrimp, Louisiana crawfish, pico de gallo and mozzarella cheese
- Fresh Strawberry Pancakes: Three light and fluffy pancakes topped with strawberries, powdered sugar and served with a strawberry glaze.
- Honey Glazed Ham and Eggs: Thick-cut honey and brown sugar, glazed ham served with two organic eggs (any style), caramelized Idaho potatoes and choice of toast
Gurnee and Libertyville, IL
Brunch hours: Gurnee – Football season, Libertyville – Saturday-Sunday; 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
It’s difficult to turn down kegs and eggs. The two O’Toole’s restaurants also know how to complete your balanced breakfast with the Bloody Mary Bar which features over 20 ingredients. Timothy O’Toole’s in Gurnee and O’Toole’s Libertyville provide you with a splendid opportunity to fill your soul with Irish breakfast goodness and more.
- Corned Beef Hash: Served with two fried eggs and toast
- Chilaquiles: House tortilla chips, two fried eggs, salsa verde, queso fresco, onion and cilantro lime crema drizzle
- Breakfast Poutine: Crispy fries, smoked bacon, sausage and cheese curds topped with two fried eggs and country peppered gravy
- Huevos Rancheros: Two tostadas topped with beans, two fried eggs, ranchero salsa and lime crema drizzle
Brunch Hours: Daily; 6:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
This cozy, comfy Libertyville eatery serving classic American breakfast, lunch and of course, brunch. Townee Square Restaurant is the 'Home of the Double Egg Order.'
- Egg Casseroles
- French Toast
- Homemade Oatmeal
- Creative Breakfast Platters
Brunch Hours: Open daily; 6:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Wildberry has earned many praises for their delicious creations in Libertyville. In late 2015, Thrillist ranked Wildberry in the Top 21 Pancakes in America. In 2016, Wildberry won a Daily Herald Readers’ Choice Award for ‘Best Brunch.’ As you can see, the Libertyville café is kind of a big deal that specializes in gourmet breakfasts, fresh-baked bread, panini sandwiches and so much more.
- Signature Berry Bliss Pancakes: With vanilla Anglaise, blackberry coulis, berry mascarpone and fresh berries
- The Rutherford Omelet: Baby spinach, caramelized onions, goat cheese and bacon served with hash browns or fruit and toast or pancakes
- Rustic Farm Egg Panini: Two over-easy eggs, bacon, grilled tomatoes, Havarti cheese and basil on artisan ciabatta with hash browns
- Venetian Skillet: Hash browns, cheddar and Jack cheese, two eggs, Italian sausage, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes
Brunch Hours: Saturday-Sunday 11:15-2 p.m. except for Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day
Wildfire allows you to do your best Marty McFly impression. Jump in a DeLorean and transport to a 1940s supper club. The Lincolnshire eatery is well known for its steaks, chops and seafood, but they also offer weekend brunch. Start your weekend off the right way with fine dining, compliments of the restaurant that celebrates the post-WW II era.
- Upside-Down Apple French Toast: Cinnamon whipped cream and maple syrup
- Oven-Roasted Crab Cakes Benedict: Hollandaise sauce, homestyle potatoes and onions
- Southwestern Skirt Steak and Eggs: Three eggs over easy, ranchero sauce, homestyle potatoes, onions and toast
- Garden Vegetable Quiche: Asparagus, spinach, caramelized onions, gruyere cheese, field green and tomato salad.
Besides these 11+ eateries to upgrade your brunch experience in Lake County, continue here to see the area’s other dining options.