Let the ride take you...
- Shiloh House is a 25-room mansion built in 1901 as the residence of Dr. John Alexander Dowie who is credited with establishing the Christian Catholic Church and the City of Zion, one of the most representative religious utopias and planned industrial communities of the 20th century.
- For over 90 years the University of St. Mary of the Lake / Mundelein Seminary (USMC) has been known as the largest Catholic seminary in the U.S. and is famous for its architecture, impressive library and pastoral grounds. Groups will tour the main chapel, library, John Paul II chapel with historic organ, the grounds, grotto and conclude in the cafeteria for lunch. Special interest groups such as art, music, or religious can develop their own tour.
- The beauty of Marytown will inspire private reflection. This popular center for pilgrimages, prayer and renewal will also stir the heart. Include the National Shrine of St. Maximilian Kolbe, built to honor a Polish Conventual Francisican priest who traded his life for another in the Auschwitz death camp. The Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament chapel will reveal one of most beautiful religious sites in America. A 30 minute video, tour and lunch with mass is optional.
- Monastery Gracanica is an impressive architectural replica of the original Gracanica of Kosovo. Learn about the desire of the Orthodox Church to touch the senses, thereby touching the soul and see how every detailed element in the church has spiritual significance.
- In the late 1930's, John and Julia Cuneo received papal permission to install a private chapel in their residence, now the Cuneo Mansion and Gardens. On display are a magnificent late 17th century altar, velvet-covered high back chairs and religious artifacts including hand-painted murals of the Stations of the Cross and symbols of the Catholic religion. Note: Group tours will resume late in 2015.
Your spiritual journey does not have to end as both USMC and Marytown offer lodging and meeting space for retreats. Lake County features several serene lodging sites including the picturesque Illinois Beach Resort, the prairie-style Doubletree by Hilton Hotel or the contemporary Hotel Indigo.
We have numerous entertainment venues for an evening of relaxation. No doubt, your group will return home refreshed and renewed.
However you choose to piece together your tour, your knowledgeable Lake County Tour coordinator Jayne Nordstrom will be on hand to assist you.